Chicken lettuce wraps filled with crunchy, juicy chicken and home made tzatziki sauce. I love this for a snack or lunch.
How was your weekend? Did you have nice weather? Did you go out and enjoy it?
We had a beautiful 80 degree day on Saturday. I was out photographing cars for a few hours. Yes, cars. No, I’m not a car fanatic. There was a car show at our church and I was volunteered to photo the cars of the participants. Over 200 of them. I must say some of the cars were beautifully customized. My favorite was a corvette that had a 1957 nose, a 1958 body and a 1959 back end. Don’t quote me on that but I think that’s how the owner explained it. It was stunning.
Don’t you just love lettuce wraps?
My favorite is the Thai lettuce wrap on the appetizer menu at Cheesecake Factory. I usually order it as my meal. I don’t like to share.
So this chicken lettuce wrap? It’s light, it’s portable and it can be whipped up in about 30 minutes. I love easy, portable meals like this in the Spring and Summer.
The tzatziki sauce? Greek yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, green onion (scallions), mint.
For the crunchy bread crumb coating I stirred in cumin, garlic salt, paprika, salt, a dash of cayenne and lemon pepper. You don’t even have to dip the chicken in eggs or milk or any other liquid-y things.
I rolled the chicken around in the bread crumbs then let them rest on a cooling rack in the fridge while I was making the tzatziki.
You know what made the coating extra crunchy? Letting them rest with the coating on for one. Then before popping them in the oven I sprayed them with cooking spray. I use canola oil spray.
Biting into that crunchy chicken and that buttery lettuce with a tease of tzatziki sauce…beyond delicious.
- 1 large chicken breast sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 3 butter lettuce leaves
- Red bell pepper slices
- Green onion slices
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper spice
- Cooking spray
- 1½ cups greek yogurt
- 2 persian cucumbers (or ½ of an english cucumber) diced small
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Prepare a cooling rack on top of a baking pan. Set aside.
- Tip the bread crumbs into a vessel wide enough to roll the chicken pieces into to coat them with the crumbs.
- Whisk the spices in with the bread crumbs. Taste it and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Roll each chicken piece individually in the bread crumbs until coated.
- Set on the cooling rack and into the fridge.
- Spray both sides lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 for 7 minutes. Flip the pieces over and bake another 7 minutes until done.
- Stir all the ingredients into the yogurt. Refrigerate while the chicken is cooking.
- Last step: wrap, eat and enjoy!
- Smashed Potatoes
- How to Make: Roasted Chickpeas