Lemon Bars and some favorites for Friday.
I love love lemon bars. Don’t you?
Unfortunately, I’ve met a few lemon bars I didn’t like so much. Either the filling is too thin. They’re too tart. They’re too sweet. They taste like raw flour. They fall apart when you pick them up…the list goes on. It’s hard to find good lemon bars that deliver the balance of sweet and tart plus creaminess.
I love good tart lemon bars that have a nice balance of sweetness and these lemon bars deliver. And they’re creamier than any lemon bars I’ve tasted before.
You see, I added yogurt to the filling. The addition of yogurt in the filling really makes them smooth and creamy. These bars are creamy, smooth, tart, sweet all wrapped up in one. I just love ‘em and my husband does too. He’s my taste tester approver and he gave them two thumbs up! That says a lot since he loves loves lemon bars even more than I do.
And I replaced the flour with cornstarch. This is a recipe that a friend gave me a long time ago that I adjusted a little to create this luscious lemon bar. I never did get to make it while she was still with us but I think she’d be proud.
The day before you’ll want to strain the yogurt like I did here. For the crust use melted butter. Not softened at room temperature butter. Actually melt or render the butter like I did here. Combine it with the powdered sugar and flour, press into an 8×8 pan and bake for 15 or 20 minutes. Beat together the filling ingredients including the yogurt, pour over the crust and bake at 325. My baking time was closer to 30 minutes because with the yogurt it took a little bit longer to set up.
Oh, and you can freeze them too. The “leftovers” are in my freezer now. I’m trying not to think about them too much. Er, my hips are trying to not think about them too much.
I’ll take two please.
Make this. Your family will thank you. Your tastebuds will thank you.
- For the crust
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup butter melted or rendered
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- For the filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup strained yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- ~~For the Yogurt~~
- Place a sieve over a bowl, put a tea towel in the sieve, pour 3 cups yogurt into the towel.
- ~~For the Bars~~
- Beat the powdered sugar and melted butter until sugar is dissolved. Add flour and beat until combined.
- Press into 8x8 pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until it is just lightly golden.
- Meanwhile beat the eggs and granulated sugar until combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat until incorporated.
- Pour over the crust.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until set.
Ice cream, I scream for ice cream!
I’ll take these pancakes anytime. Check out that syrup!
This is brilliant!
What a beautiful story. And the potato cakes are lovely too.
- Zucchini and Ricotta Penne Pasta
- Manakeesh, Manaeesh, Manousheh